In addition to running the day to day operations of Star Fireworks, Andy Hubble provides an explosives consultancy service with a specialist area of legal compliance for firework display companies and companies involved in the storage and transport of pyrotechnic related articles and substances.
Specialist areas include:
- Control of Major Accident Hazards (COMAH) legislation
- Explosives Storage and Licensing – he has been responsible for four top tier COMAH sites, many lower tier COMAH sites and numerous other Health and Safety Executive explosives licensed storage sites, as well as local authority licensed and registered sites
- Implementation and management of COMAH safety/environmental activities and statutory obligations
- Dangerous goods transport legislation
- Firework Classification
- Risk assessments, for storage sites and events
- Safety Management Systems (SMS) and written procedures
- Safety training for individuals involved in explosive storage, and firework displays
- Site audit and monitoring compliance
- Major Accident Prevention Policies
- Emergency planning
- Accident investigation
Andy also acts as an expert witness in the field of firework displays, and the storage and transport of pyrotechnic related articles and substances. He has acted as fireworks expert witness in both criminal work for prosecution and defence and also civil cases. He is noted for his clear explanations, detailed analysis, and authoritative opinion. Prior to fireworks he worked for Thames Valley Police for five years, and has spent thirteen as a Special Constable with the same Police Force.
Andy Hubble's background, training and work with government agencies ensures he has the unique set of skills to provide Firework Consultancy Services.
Qualifications, training, accreditation:
- British Pyrotechnists Association Senior Firer (5-year current)
- British Pyrotechnists Association Firework Firer’s Course Lecturer
- British Pyrotechnists Association Firework Firer’s Course Administrator Dangerous Goods Safety Adviser,2005 to current
- Dangerous Goods Safety Adviser (DGSA)
Membership of Professional Organisations
- British Pyrotechnists Association, Chairman, 2008 to 2010, 2013 to 2016
- Member of the Institute of Explosive Engineers (IExpE), 2012 Institute of Explosives Engineers Council Member (IExpE)
- Council Member of Institute of Explosive Engineers (IExpE) since 2016
- 2016 to current British Pyrotechnists Association Management Committee
- 2011 to 2013 CBI/Explosives Industry Group Pyrotechnic Section Committee
Membership of Committees and Working Groups
- Member of Health and Safety Executive Explosives Legislative Review (ELR) Professional Display Operator Working Group, 2013 to 2015 preparing new legislation (Explosives Regulations 2014) and guidance to the Regulations
- Member of Pyrotechnic Articles Liaison Group (PALG),2013 to current, implementation and application of European Directive related pyrotechnics legislation, liaison group between pyrotechnic stakeholders, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) Single Market Team (European Reform Directorate), Health and Safety Executive and Trading Standards.
- Member of CEN TC212 Working Group 2, developing European standards for Pyrotechnic Articles with a specialism of category 4 fireworks, for use by persons with specialist knowledge, 2008 to 2010
- Member of Health and Safety Executive Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations Revue Working Group 2008
Should you have need of consultancy services do not hesitate to contact Andy for more information. Andy is always happy to help members of the firework industry with his specialist knowledge and expertise.
As a BPA Spokesperson Andy is also available to answer questions from the press.